It’s said that necessity is the mother of invention. As we started to plan for next season we could not find a league that served the unique needs of girls ice hockey programs.
We saw a glaring need, and not wanting to shy away from the size of the task, the National Girls Hockey League (NGHL) was born. To support other programs in the same situation, the NGHL is dedicated to the promotion and growth of girls ice hockey programs across the nation. Our mission is to enhance the overall hockey experience for athletes by partnering with like-minded programs in order to build a competitive schedule that geographically benefits all league members.
The league was inspired by the NHL and the NWHL with the thought of eventually bringing that level of success to girls hockey. Because many of our programs wear jersey’s that represent NHL teams, we will hold the League to high standards. Each team member in the NGHL is expected to provide an environment that enables the players, volunteers, and staff a chance to acquire the skills needed to be successful. Members of the NGHL are expected to instill the following core values:
The goal of the league is to:
- support a grassroots approach to growing the game
- create stability and structure by having a well-run schedule event with multiple levels of competition
- promote players to the next level by coordinating exposure events
- encourage community service
The NGHL has planned a well-rounded showcase schedule for the 2019-2020 season. These weekends serve many different purposes - exposure, competition, NCAA experience, and last but not least, fun.
The League’s members will compete in five-weekend showcases against other league members and guest teams, culminating with championships in February 2020. The showcases will be held at top venues and desirable locations for maximum exposure to college scouts.
2019-2020 Showcase Dates & Locations:
- NGHL Exposure Clinic - Northford, CT, August 29, 2019
- Labor Day Challenge - Northford, CT, August 30 - September 1, 2019
- Ohio State Big Ten - Columbus, OH, September 13-15, 2019
- Nashville Country Classic - Nashville, TN, November 29-Dec. 1,2019
- Providence / Brown Showcase - Providence, RI, January 17-20, 2020
- Cornell / Elmira Showcase - Ithaca, NY, January 31 - February 2, 2020
- NGHL Championship - St.Louis, MO, February 14-17, 2020
League members only will play in Championships, held at the new St. Louis Community Ice Center, practice home of the St. Louis Blues, the 2018/19 NHL champs.
The Granato Cup is the championship trophy of the National Girl's Hockey League, honoring Cammi Granato, a founding member of the USA Women's National Team.