National Girls Hockey League Rules 2021-2022
- Verification that all participating teams are properly registered with USA Hockey or their country’s federation, is required prior to the start of the tournament. USA Hockey Official Team Roster Form (1-T) approved by the District or Associate Registrar, or Hockey Canada Certified Player Roster approved by the governing Canadian federation is required for all participating teams and shall be proof that all participating teams are properly registered, and all participants are playing in the appropriate age classification and level. Please note the following:
- All USA Hockey players must have a valid USA Hockey registration confirmation number for the current season that is verified on the approved USA Hockey Official Team Roster (1-T).
- Rosters submitted to the NGHL (firstname.lastname@example.org) minimum 14-days prior to the event) & GAMESHEET must match the team’s verified/approved USA Hockey Official Team Roster (1-T) or Hockey Canada Certified Player
- Travel Permits are required and will be verified for all Non-USA Hockey teams, and any team from an Affiliate requiring a Permit from their
- Any player not listed as active on the League Member team’s USA Hockey roster and on the NGHL/GAMESHEET roster website 24 hours prior to a game will be ineligible to participate in a league Failure to comply with this rule will result in a forfeit by the offending League Member team.
- If a player is added or dropped from a USAH roster, the League Member must provide the latest USAH approved roster to the NGHL staff and the team manager must complete the NGHL Add-Drop Form (Found on the website under “FORMS” tab).
- Teams may consist of a maximum of 20 players.
- A team must start a game with a minimum of six players. Any time that a team has been reduced to less than four players, the game shall be declared a forfeit.
- A player may play on a team in an older classification only if the applicable Affiliate’s rules or decisions, and the applicable local program’s rules or decisions, permit that player to do so. A player residing in one Affiliate may not play on a team in an older classification in a different Affiliate unless both the Affiliate where the player resides and the Affiliate where the player desires to play have granted permission to play in an older classification.
- NGHL Red Events for the 19U/16U/14U divisions will be guaranteed 5 games per event. Red events for the 12U & 10U divisions will be guaranteed 4 games per event. All Blue events will be guaranteed 4 games per event, with possible championships.
- If the event contains a championship game, a banner will be given to the winner.
- All teams must be prepared to play games by posed (www.nghlhockey.com) date/time, unless otherwise agreed upon with the tournament director (JOHN OPIE).
- Scheduling requests made within 6 weeks of the event will not be guaranteed, so submit early!!
SAFESPORT The NGHL follows the USA Hockey SafeSport guidelines for its events and members. Per USA Hockey policy, all rostered players, coaches, and volunteers must be screened with an active USA Hockey membership and SafeSport certification. All SafeSport incidents will be handled in conjunction with USA Hockey or the event’s governing body.
INJURIES There is no athletic trainer on site. In the unfortunate event of an injury, an ambulance should be called. Dial 911.
SCHEDULING All event schedules will be released via the NGHL website roughly 1 month prior to the event to allow enough time to evaluate game times. Schedules are deemed “FINAL” 7-10 days prior to the event and will no longer be adjusted.
- RED DIVISION: Long Weekend: Start day Saturday 8:00am. Travel after 4:00pm Monday
- 14/16/19 Games: 2 x Saturday, 2 x Sunday, 1 x Monday AM
- 12U - 2 x Saturday, 2 x Sunday. Championship game (based on points) on Monday AM
- RED DIVISION: Regular Weekend: Start day Friday 8:00am. Travel after 4:00pm Sunday.
- 14/16/19 Games: 2 x Friday, 2 x Saturday, 1 x Sunday
- 12U - 2 x Friday, 2 x Saturday, 1 x Sunday AM + Championship game (based on points) Sunday afternoon
- BLUE DIVISION: Long Weekend: Start day Saturday 8:00am. Travel after 4:00pm Monday.
- 2 x Sat, 2 x Sunday. Championship game (semi + finals) on Monday Morning
- BLUE DIVISION: Regular weekend: Start day Friday 8:00am. Travel after 4:00pm Sunday
- 2 x Friday, 2 x Saturday. Championship (semi + finals) on Sunday Morning
COACHES & SCOREKEEPERS
- Scorekeepers – please arrive 15 minutes prior to puck drop to familiarize yourself with our iPad game sheet software, as well as the rink clock.
- The scorekeeper must provide the head coaches with the iPad, prior to warmups, for approval of the team roster. Following the game, the iPad must be handed to the on-ice officials for final approval and signatures.
- Coaches are responsible for verifying the accuracy of stats prior to signing the scoresheet after the game. Any further stat correction requests must come from the team manager and the email (email@example.com) must include a video that is 30 seconds or less. Requests that do not meet the above criteria will not be considered.
- The scorekeeper will return the game iPad to the tournament director prior to leaving the facility. The scoresheet will automatically upload to the NGHL website and standings once the iPad is connected to Wi-Fi. Please connect to WiFi after each game if there is no signal in the scorebox
- All players must have legal equipment & teams should supply their own warm-up pucks. All players in the tournament are required to wear a colored, non-clear (Rule 304F) mouth guard (Squirt players excepted as per USA Hockey), or as per their organization’s directive (per out of country teams)
- All games will consist of a 3-minute warmup (which will begin when the Zamboni/Olympia doors are closed) and 3 periods: each period consisting of 12 or 15 minutes in length and following stop-time rules. 10U & 12U will play three 12-minute periods. 14U, 16U & 19U will play three 15-minute periods.
- One ice make will occur during the 19U games either during the 2nd intermission or 1st. The format is the following:
- CLEAN ICE – GAME 1
- PERIOD 1
- PERIOD 2
- ICE MAKE
- PERIOD 3
- WARMUPS (on dirty ice) – GAME 2
- PERIOD 1
- ICE MAKE
- PERIOD 2
- PERIOD 3
- CLEAN ICE – END of GAME 2
- NO TIMEOUTS will be allowed, except for SEMI-FINAL and FINALS.
- Running time will be in effect during the 3rd period, only when a team is winning by 5 goals. Stop-time will resume once the score is within 2 goals.
- On Ice Altercations: If a game is interrupted by on-ice fighting between players and /or bench staff, then the clock will continue to run. Games times will not be restored until the whistle has blown on the play that immediately follows the on-ice fight. Minutes lost will not be restored.
- If a game is tied at the end of regulation, a 3-person shootout will take place. The home team will decide who will shoot first. Designated shooters for both teams will alternate shots. If the score remains tied after 3 rounds, a sudden death shootout (one skater each team) shall continue until a winner is determined. The players in the first group of 3 may not shoot again until all other eligible players on their team have had a turn OR the opposing team has used all players. Players with time remaining on their penalty are not eligible for the shootout. Goalies are not eligible.
- If the event consists of a championship game, 5-minute sudden-death overtime will take place prior to the 3-person shootout. 10U, 12U & 14U teams will play 5v5 overtime, 16U & 19U teams will be 4v4. No ice make will occur during overtime or shootout.
- The NGHL only uses officials that are in good standing with USAH & their affiliate to officiate games.
- Fighting is not tolerated. Referees will be instructed to eject players engaged in fighting. Referees will be allowed to forfeit the game of a team guilty of misconduct.
- Penalties shall be served as follows:
- Minor Penalty: 1.5 minutes (1 minute for 10U & 12U)
- Major Penalty: 4.0 minutes (3 minute for 10U & 12U)
- Misconduct: 10.0 minutes
- Game Misconduct: Ejection plus 1 game
- Second Game Misconduct: Ejection from tournament
- Fighting: Ejection from tournament
- A player is assessed a game misconduct after 4 penalties in the same game & a coach receiving a game suspension when the team accumulates 12 penalties during the same game.
- A player or goalkeeper on the roster who is unable to play, other than through suspension, may be on the players’ bench without being considered team personnel if she is wearing the team jersey and all required head and face protective equipment. ICING DURING SHORT HANDED SITUATIONS is NOT ALLOWED for all age groups.
- IMMEDIATE OFFSIDES is to be played for all age groups.
- NO TIMEOUTS will be allowed, except for SEMI-FINAL and FINALS.
- No appeal shall be allowed from a referee's decision to eject a player from a game or from the tournament. No appeal shall be allowed from any discretionary decision or call by a referee or linesman.
ONLY John Opie, the NGHL Hockey Operations Director, will update scoresheet statistics once a game has been completed, only at the request of the point of contact for the team who is requesting the change. For example, official shots on goal may be altered post-game with the help of ICEBERG Sports Analytica data. Please note that any dispute concerning rules and/or the judgment applied by on-ice officials will NOT be overturned.
Any discrepancies with what is recorded in the game scoring system will be addressed as per a detailed email with video evidence (ICEBERG only) to JOHN OPIE at John@nghlhockey.com
- Rosters submitted to the NGHL (firstname.lastname@example.org) minimum 14-days prior to the event) & GAMESHEET, must match the team’s verified/approved USA Hockey Official Team Roster (1-T) or Hockey Canada Certified Player Roster.
- The NGHL will be using the GameSheet, Inc. app (iPad-based scoring). Team managers will be sent activation codes to input team rosters directly into GameSheet. League member rosters, headshots & graduation year/bio are required to be uploaded no later than 3 weeks before the 1st event. Guest team rosters must be uploaded 2 weeks prior to the event. Tutorials and directions will be emailed and found online at GameSheet, Inc.
- Team managers should check-in with the on-site tournament director 1 hr before game time.
- The home team will wear white jerseys and visitors wear dark.
- All teams are required to be ready to play 15 minutes prior to scheduled game time. Each team is responsible to provide its own penalty box monitor or attendant.
- It is the team/representatives' responsibility to ensure that the locker room is maintained and kept clean (no trash/tape /food or drink on the floor) prior to vacating the locker room after each game. The team manager/representative is responsible for all damage done to the locker room, equipment in the locker, or the facility.
- The NGHL supports the USA Hockey zero tolerance initiatives for verbal abuse of any player, official, parent or spectator. The tournament director or rink staff reserves the right to remove any violator from the premises.
- Any person causing damage to the tournament facility will be fined commensurate with the damage and will be removed from the premises and/or suspended from all facility activities until the fine is paid in full. All persons are subject to prosecution to the fullest extent of the law
- Cell Phones and Other Mobile Recording Devices: Per USA Hockey policy, cell phones and other mobile devices with recording capabilities, including voice recording, still cameras, and video cameras, are not permitted to be used in the locker rooms. If phones or other mobile devices must be used, they should be taken outside of the locker room.
- All divisions will be scored 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for a shootout win, 1 point for a shootout loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss.
- Any forfeited games will be recorded as a 3-0 score.
- TOTAL POINTS
- HEAD-TO-HEAD. Note: If a team defeats the other team(s) that they are tied with, they will be ranked ahead of those other
- MOST TOTAL WINS
- GOAL DIFFERENTIAL – GOALS FOR MINUS GOALS AGAINST IN ALL GAMES Note: In each game, the goal differential will be a maximum of (6) regardless of a greater goal differential.
- FEWEST GOALS ALLOWED FOR ALL GAMES
- MOST GOALS SCORED FOR ALL GAMES
- FEWEST TOTAL PENALTY MINUTES IN ALL GAMES Note: Game misconducts will count as 10 minutes.
- MOST SHUTOUTS
- During this time of Covid 19, the rules of the State and the restrictions placed by the State and the Country will be followed. Such restrictions as use of facemasks, social distancing, and rink capacity/spectator viewing guidelines will be enforced if in place at the current time, pursuant to the restrictions outlined by the State Governor at the time of the event. Anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms will not be permitted entry. Teams or individuals who feel unwell or report signs of illness or fever will be asked to stay home. ** EACH PLAYER MUST SUPPLY HIS/HER OWN WATER / WATER BOTTLE**
CANCELLATION POLICY Cancellation Policy for teams registered for NGHL EVENTS
- If canceled within 10 days of the event, no refund will be
- If canceled within 30 days of the event, a credit will be applied to another NGHL
- If canceled more than 30 days before the event, you will be refunded the full
- John Opie
- Hockey Operations & Tournament Director
- c. (203) 980-4136
- Leslie Case
- NGHL Administration & Marketing
- c. (917) 604-6124
- Jeremy Dallow
- NGHL Interim Commissioner
- c. (973) 699-6245
- Sean O’Brien
- NGHL Co-General Manager
- c. (207) 604-8336